[linux-dvb] hdtv scanning

Nico Sabbi nsabbi at email.it
Mon Nov 6 11:48:46 CET 2006

Andrea Venturi wrote:

>Klaus Schmidinger wrote:
>

>>No - and it won't.
>>TS is for broadcasting, and PES is for recording.
>>

>is this just a personal opinion?
>
>me, actually i can see a great move toward TS also for storing..
>
>i think about the HDV storage cassette; there is a TS inside the tape.
>
>the forecoming blu ray technology has a TS inside the optical diskette
>(but i have to say there's a PS inside the HD-DVD disk; who's going to
>win, i dont know..)

really? I thught it would use TS, too.
Do you have any specification?

>IMHO i believe that in the medium term there's no space for two
>different storage standards: to hassle to maintain both up to date
>
>the TS is going to succeed because:
>
>- it's where all the development for newer services is going to be done
>- you can store the broadcast straight on the disk
>- the "bucks per storage byte" index is going lower and lower..
>
>bye
>
>andrea venturi

agree, and the overhead of ts over pes is going to be insignificant with
the typically used bitrates.
Anyway, Klaus, you can repack the pmt as a psm in the .vdr stream
and keep the same informations about codec, language, and so on