[linux-dvb] Re: hdtv scanning

Wolfgang Wegner wolfgang at leila.ping.de
Mon Nov 6 13:53:27 CET 2006

On Mon, Nov 06, 2006 at 01:36:07PM +0100, Benny Amorsen wrote:

> KS> The whole HDTV thing is of no interest to me until there is a DVB
> KS> card that can actually replay HDTV in hardware.
>
> Why would it have to be the DVB card doing it? That seems to be the
> job of the graphics card and the CPU.

...because this is the only way to get proper audio/video synchronisation
without any skipped frames or resampled audio (which, BTW, is not possible
at all with AC-3).

As long as PCs do not have any means to synchronize frame and audio rate,
they are not really suited for MPEG decoding IMHO.

Regards,
Wolfgang