[linux-dvb] FlyDVB-T Hybrid - tuning and parameter drift?

Hartmut Hackmann hartmut.hackmann at t-online.de
Sat Nov 11 00:29:26 CET 2006

Hi, Mark

Mark Edwards wrote:
> Hi gentle DVB folk.
>
> I have a flyvideo hybrid DVB card in my shiny new linux box.
>
> It shows up thus in lspci...
>
> 05:00.0 Multimedia controller: Philips Semiconductors SAA7133/SAA7135
> Video Broadcast Decoder (rev d0)
>         Subsystem: Animation Technologies Inc.: Unknown device 3306
>         Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 217
>         Memory at f9100000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
>         Capabilities: <available only to root>
>

> modules loaded are:
>
> saa7134_dvb, dvb_pll, saa7134, tda1004x
>
> I am experiencing what I can only describe as 'parameter drift' on the
> card. I tune up the card nicely and watch TV for a while. Machine gets
> left on. By the next day, the card is unable to achieve tuning lock. I
> unload and reload the modules, and hey presto - we're working again.
>
> This problem shows up when using DVB. I havn't tried FM radio or
> Analogue TV.
>
> Any ideas what might be going on here?
>
> cheers,
>
> Mark.
>
> --
> regards,
>
> Mark P. Edwards

This can be a temperature problem. The first generation of the tuners on
this card has an enormous power consumption. How old is the driver you are
using?
In the last months, i changed the driver to:
- put unused components to standby mode
- make the dvb-t channel decoder more tolerant to xtal frequency offsets.
so can you please get a recent driver from www.linuxtv.org and retry?
If you have a recent driver can you try to ensure that there is some
air flow around the card (i.e. by freeing the PCI slots close to it)?

Best regards
    Hartmut