[linux-dvb] Re: 3 patches for Kernel 2.6.19-rc5

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at infradead.org
Fri Nov 17 13:28:38 CET 2006

Em Qui, 2006-11-16 às 16:31 +0100, Uwe Bugla escreveu:
> Hi Mauro,
> but the real core point is the whole reactionary concept of the common
> backend for all bt8xx cards.
Again, you are looking to your own foot. DVB_PLL is required for other
non-bt8xx cards.

> + You can save RAM by deselecting every frontend module that your DVB card does not need.
You save RAM, at the risk of breaking DVB support and flooding the ML
with complains about broken stuff. No. It should also warn here also.

> “This comment doesn't help. For 99,9% of the current DVB boards, DVB_PLL
> is needed. So, help should be something like "this is required for most
> boards. You should disable it only if you know what you are doing".”

> There are only two groups of cards who definitely need this module:
> They are both belonging to the lgdt330x group.
> a. DviCO Fusion HDTV cards
> b. pcHDTV cards
NO! You are looking only bttv boards.
If you take a look, DVB_PLL is required also by non-bttv frontends.

> I deselected all obsolete modules that my Pinnacle PCTVSAT card definitely never needed

> The compiler errors are the following:
> WARNING: "dst_ca_attach" [drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "dst_attach" [drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "dvb_pll_configure" [drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko] undefined!
> WARNING: "dvb_pll_lg_tdvs_h06xf" [drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko] undefined!

> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.19-rc5/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko needs unknown symbol dst_attach
> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.19-rc5/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko needs unknown symbol dst_ca_attach
> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.19-rc5/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko needs unknown symbol dvb_pll_lg_tdvs_h06xf
> WARNING: /lib/modules/2.6.19-rc5/kernel/drivers/media/dvb/bt8xx/dvb-bt8xx.ko needs unknown symbol dvb_pll_configure

You proved by facts that dvb-bt8xx needs dst, dst_ca and dvb_pll.
Without those, several boards will stop working.
Your patch is broken, since it leaves several symbols undefined.

> the communication scheme that I already know from XXXXXXX!
Again, please stop trying to offend people from the community. Next time
I'll stop answering such emails without advice.