[linux-dvb] PATCH: 2 patches against current Mercurial tree

Christoph Pfister christophpfister at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 14:52:33 CET 2006

Hi,

2006/11/27, Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla at gmx.de>:

> -------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 21:08:49 +0400
> Von: Manu Abraham <abraham.manu at gmail.com>
> An: Uwe Bugla <uwe.bugla at gmx.de>
> Betreff: Re: [linux-dvb] PATCH: 2 patches against current Mercurial tree
>
> > Hello Uwe,
> >
> > Uwe Bugla wrote:
> > > Hi everybody,
> > > Thanks for the excellent work done by Michael Krufky and Mauro Chehab in
> > the last few days! Well Done, guys!
> > > I tested yesterday's mercurial tree against 2.6.19-rc6.
> > > As I stated already, the only card in my machine is a Pinnacle PCTV Sat.
> > > And I consequently want to save RAM, i. e. avoid modules that are not
> > necessary for this card to function well.
> >

> > Have you ever taken a look at how much RAM is wasted by the modules in
> > (media/video) media/video/bt8xx ?
> Should I have done so? Fact is I waste 38 kB of Ram with two completely senseless DST modules being compiled and loaded into RAM although I do not need them at all!

1) with a 2.6.17+ kernel they aren't loaded (check modinfo dvb-bt8xx)
so you can simply remove / not install those modules

2) you should look at bttv and its deps because it even takes 175kb
[1] compared to cx878-core which takes 13 kb currently (will stay
below 20kb even in a final version i think)

> > What you loose here is nothing in comparison to that. Most of the
> > hopelessness in DVB stuff comes because of hopeless dependencies in V4L.
> > (just count how many hopeless V4L modules are loaded)
> >
> > If you keep quiet
> Will you please leave it up to me personally when I need to keep quiet or not?
>  and try to help, you will see better drivers, to have
> > a sneak preview you can look here which will avoid using the
> > media/video/foobar and all nonsense.
> >
> > http://thadathil.net:8000/cgi-bin/hgwebdir.cgi/cx878_3
> >

> > So try to cooperate, by testing that tree, eventhough work is going on.
> > Might be incomplete for the time being.
> How do I have to imply that tree? Just copy the modules in the kernel tree?
> Or how?
> Thanks!

Copy the tree into v4l-dvb and adjust the makefiles ...

> > Manu
>
> Uwe

Christoph

[1] notes about the module sizes (fully stripped, current v4l-dvb)

dvb-bt8xx.ko (12812) + bt878.ko (8356) = 21168 bytes

dst_ca.ko (11064) + dst.ko (21060) = 32124 bytes

size of bttv (needed by bt878.ko) and its dependencies in media/video/*

bttv: 108328
video-buf: 15300
v4l2-common: 17768
tveeprom: 12752