[linux-dvb] Switching tuner to analogue mode on Compro VideoMate DVB-T300

Hartmut Hackmann hartmut.hackmann at t-online.de
Tue Oct 3 00:04:41 CEST 2006

Hi,

Tomislav Bodor wrote:
> Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>Tomislav Bodor wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I am having problems getting the DVB-T300 to switch to analogue mode
>>>once the digital part of the tuner has been accessed. The only way I
>>>found seems to be to unload the saa7134-dvb module and reload saa7134.
>>>I'm using the drivers from vanilla 2.6.18 kernel, but I checked the
>>>relevant sections (see below) against mercurial and they seem to be the
>>>same.
>>>
>>>Now, I have had a look at how this is supposed to be switched back to
>>>analogue and have found the sleep function (the one used for DVB-T300 is
>>>philips_europa_tuner_sleep) and the way it's called from dvb_frontent.c
>>>after dvb_shutdown_timeout expires. This all seems to work (and the
>>>sleep function is called correctly), but the tuner stays in digital
>>>mode.
>>>
>>>Does anyone have an idea why this might not work? Maybe the i2c messages
>>>are wrong for this card? Unfortunately this is all completely new to me,
>>>but I'm happy to test any patches :)
>>>

>>There have been 2 big changes since i added support for this card.
>>I worried about the tda9887 merge in the tuner module, but the
>>effect i worried about is a bit different from what you describe.
>>- are there any error messages in the kernel log?
>>- does analog tv work immedeately after module load?
>>Any additional information will help.
>

> Sure. Unfortunately, I don't know what's useful information and what's
> not, so I may overload you :)
>
> I'll tackle the latter first: analog works just fine after saa7134
> module is loaded (this for me happens automatically during boot). It
> continues working even after saa7134-dvb is loaded, all the way until I
> run any dvb application (e.g. scan or mythbackend with a DVB card
> configured). Once a dvb device is accessed the card is switched to
> digital mode (and I can watch digital TV just fine).
>
> Now for the first question: from that point onwards digital works fine,
> but accessing the card in analogue mode (say using tvtime or mythtv via
> the analogue tuner) produces the following errors in the kernel log:
>
> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.007478] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.015462] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.023452] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.131306] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.139289] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)
> Oct  2 16:04:38 localhost kernel: [  540.215214] tuner 1-0061: i2c i/o
> error: rc == -5 (should be 4)

This is the information i was looking for. There is something going wrong
with the I2c bridge.

> They come in batches of six at a time every time I start tvtime and then
> one at a time every time I change channels.

<snip>

> And this reminds me: I never downloaded any firmware for tda10046 - it
> just worked this way, though various documentation says that I should
> use the get_dvb_firmware script from linux/Documentation/dvb. Why is it
> working without firmware (out of curiosity)?

Some cards have an eeprom with the Firmware. Yours too. In this case,
the channel decoder boots from this.

This is a quick shot: can you please try to force the card type to69?
So:
modprobe saa7134 card=69
modprobe saa7134-dvb
(after you unloaded these modules)