[linux-dvb] [patch 0/8] budget_ci: improve IR input handling

Torgeir Veimo torgeir at pobox.com
Wed Oct 4 10:44:50 CEST 2006

On 4 Oct 2006, at 08:35, David Härdeman wrote:

> On Tue, October 3, 2006 22:43, C.Y.M said:
>> David Härdeman wrote:
>>> I'm sorry, but I don't quite follow...the ir driver for the
>>> av7110 uses
>>> the Linux input system (i.e. appears as a keyboard more or less),
>>> why
>>> use
>>> LIRC? Exactly what issues do you have?
>>
>> If I want to use Mythtv with the Nexus-S, then I have to use
>> LIRC.  But,
>> everyone that I talk to with a hauppauge card seems to have a
>> "double key
>> press"
>> problem when trying to use LIRC with those built in IR sensors.
>
> No, you *do not* need to use LIRC with MythTV. I control MythTV, Xine,
> Mplayer and Xmame with a remote without using LIRC.
>
> The problem, you're experiencing is that the keypresses are
> reported as
> such from the input subsystem, the X server sees them as keyboard
> input
> and passes them to the program. At the same time, LIRC passes the
> events
> as IR events to the same program....ergo, two actions for one
> keypress.
>
> The solution is simple, get rid of LIRC

Well I run an application without X while taking input only using the
linux input system, and I'm still having problems with multiple input
when pressing a single key. And I don't have LIRC installed. I've
heard from multiple sources that there are problems with the driver
code that handles the RC5 reception.

--
Torgeir Veimo
torgeir at pobox.com