[linux-dvb] HD3000 (cx88) and GA-965P-DS3 Problem.

Steven Toth stoth at hauppauge.com
Mon Oct 16 22:36:37 CEST 2006

Joshua Prismon wrote:
> I am still getting the hang of this code, so it's very very possible
> that I am missing something basic here.
>
> I don't think the problem is in the request_aquire function. In fact
> that doesn't even appear to be every called. The DVB driver registered
> correctly with the cx88-mpeg driver ( cx8802_register_driver). That
> driver registers with the pci_driver.
>
> That PCI probe doesn't appear to be actually called. When
> cx8802_register_driver starts looping through devices (after the dvb
> driver is registered), it doesn't find any devices at all.  The
> devlist should be (if I read the code correctly) populated by the
> cx8802_probe function.
>
> As a quick test, I added the following lines to the
> pci_register_driver to see what the system actually sees in the PCI
> tables:
>
> /*
>                 .vendor       = 0x14f1,
>                 .device       = 0x8802,
> */
>
> dev = pci_find_device(0x14f1, 0x8802, dev);

<cut>

> 05:00.0 0400: 14f1:8800 (rev 05)
>         Subsystem: 7063:3000
>         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
>
>> TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
>>
>         Latency: 32 (5000ns min, 13750ns max), Cache Line Size: 32 bytes
>         Interrupt: pin A routed to IRQ 21
>         Region 0: Memory at f6000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16M]
>         Capabilities: [44] Vital Product Data
>         Capabilities: [4c] Power Management version 2
>                 Flags: PMEClk- DSI+ D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA
> PME(D0-,D1-,D2-,D3hot-,D3cold-)
>
> 05:00.4 0480: 14f1:8804 (rev 05)
>         Subsystem: 7063:3000
>         Control: I/O- Mem+ BusMaster+ SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop-
> ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-

I don't see the mpeg PCI function enabled. In other words I don't see
the 14f1:8802 device. Why is this missing? I expected to see an entire
entry for this.

The cx8802.ko (cx88-mpeg.c) driver registers against 14f1:8802 and so if
that isn't registered then DVB is never going to work, because the
kernel will never probe it.

Are you completely sure the DVB device works under other kernels?

Can you tell me which vanilla kernel from www.kernel.org this DVB
product is working correctly with?

Steve