[linux-dvb] General approach to scanning for DVB-C and DVB-S

Philip Boucherat philip.boucherat at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 1 02:36:09 CEST 2006

Robert,

Thanks for your reply. I'm guessing that you are German but the only clue
from the whole thing is that you said "the other way around" instead of "the
other way round". I'm just saying that because you'd be very hard pressed to
find anyone in the UK who speaks more than one or two words of German.
Apologies to all the exceptions! (not counting the 300,000 Germans who live
here!). Anyway, enough of that!

I understand what you are saying, but how do you find this stuff out? Is
there a website somewhere that gives details of the frequency plans of local
cable operators? For instance my local cable provider in Cardiff is NTL, and
even though I know some technical contacts inside NTL they are unable (or
maybe not allowed) to give me any details about frequencies, symbol rates or
anything, and I can't find anything on the internet.

Oh well, it's no use being able to tune into NTL (DVB-C) anyway as it seems
that they encrypt everything, even the channels that would be free to air on
DVB-T. Currently I am using a DekTek modulator card to test DVB-C, and
that's not much of a challenge as then I know what I've just set the
frequency, symbol rate and qam to!

Cheers, Phil

To get back to the point,