[linux-dvb] problems capturing analog and digital at the same time with lifeview trio

Hartmut Hackmann hartmut.hackmann at t-online.de
Wed Sep 6 22:47:22 CEST 2006

rghetta wrote:
> Nico Sabbi wrote:
>
>> Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,

>>> There is a limitation in the saa713x pci bridges: They are not able to
>>> handle more than 4 simultanous DMA streams. This has the impact that
>>> if you
>>> have DVB active, you are not able to use the so-called planar video
>>> formats,
>>> but all others work.
>>> I don't use mplayer frequently, but as far as i remember, mplayer uses a
>>> planar format by default.
>>> Can anybody jump in? As far as i know, mplayer allows to select the
>>> format.
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>    Hartmut
>>>

>> the trick is to append to mplayer the option:
>>
>> -tv outfmt=yuy2
>>

>> mine is:
>>
>> normid=1:device=/dev/video0:input=0:driver=v4l2:outfmt=yuy2:width=768:height=576:fps=25:audiorate=32000:amode=1:adevice=/dev/dsp1:immediatemode=0
>

> Many thanks to both. It works perfectly!
>
> May I abuse of your kindness and ask if this can also be made to work
> with mythtv ? I've googled around and tried the mythtv filters, but
> without much luck.
>
> Ciao,
> Riccardo

So MythTV doesn't allow to choose the video format?
A solution might be to suppress the planar formats on hybrid and duo cards.
The mechanism normally is that the application asks the driver which formats
it supports (VIDIOC_G_FMT). We could reduce the list either
- with an insmod option
- or simply by the fact that the card supports MPEG (DVB) streaming.
But this would reduce the capabilities of the card and i don't know whether
there are cases where only planar formats work, either due to the application
or due to the overlay mechanism.

Can anybody comment on this?

Best regards
    Hartmut