[linux-dvb] new tv tuner card

Hartmut Hackmann hartmut.hackmann at t-online.de
Sat Sep 9 01:04:51 CEST 2006

Hi,

Philip Shead wrote:
> Peter D. wrote:
>
>> On Friday 8 September 2006 06:32, Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
>>
>> [snip]

>> [snip]
>

>>> They cause entries in the kernel log (/var/log/messages or dmesg)
>>> Please post them here. If the dvb driver loads, please start any
>>> dvb application. This will cause additional messages. Please post
>>> these as well.
>

>> Here are some edited highlights from the test installation's messages
>> file.  I will do another card swap and reboot later to confirm that it
>> is what you asked for.
>

>  I've had the below problem. It seems to be easy to 'break'
> this card. For me it has required turning the system
> off pulling the power out completely and restarting. This
> also affects the windows software. I successfully got
> mythtv to scan the 5 melbourne stations and managed a
> half hour dvb recording but it didn't work when I went
> back to watch an analogue channel and when I tried
> the dvb again I get the firmware revision ff thing.
> After a reboot when this happens attempting to
> install the saa7134-dvb module gives
>
> Sep  8 16:42:04 illian kernel: saa7133[0]: frontend initialization failed
>
> Until I completely depower the system.
>

>> [c17] /mnt/test/var/log
>> ->cat messages.temp
>

>> Sep  7 10:24:26 localhost kernel: tda1004x: setting up plls for 48MHz
>> sampling clock
>> Sep  7 10:24:27 localhost kernel: tda1004x: found firmware revision ff
>> -- invalid
>> Sep  7 10:24:27 localhost kernel: tda1004x: booting from eeprom
>> Sep  7 10:24:27 localhost kernel: tda1004x: found firmware revision ff
>> -- invalid
>> Sep  7 10:24:27 localhost kernel: tda1004x: firmware upload failed

I assume you use a recent snapshot from linuxtv.org.
I can imagine 2 possible reasons:
- Either the handling of the firmware eeprom is different on your cards.
   what happens if you force the card type to 87?
- I haven't looked into this in detail, but there might be a new bug in
   the interrupt handler which causes the card to lock up completely in some
   situations. Does analog still work after the hang?

Hartmut