[linux-dvb] Freecom USB DVB-T woes

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Thu Sep 14 01:31:08 CEST 2006

I have been trying for some time to get freecom dvb-t usb sticks to work on my
server, so I could set up a mythtv backend.  At least tonight I finally
managed to get a mythtv frontend working with it, so I could see the actual
picture.

I am near Crystal Palace in the UK, with a loft aerial, so I would have
suspected a reasonably strong signal.  I am sharing the feed with a Panasonic
PVR, and that is working perfectly.

I have built the dvb drivers from the latest (of two days ago) mercurial
repository

Some issues
- I get regular failures in the log like the following.  This is with a single
stick plugged in, watching BBC ONE apparently perfectly.  Reading the code,
it implies I am getting USB protocol problems.  What could caused that?

Sep 13 23:57:06 roo kernel: dvb-usb: recv bulk message failed: -75
Sep 13 23:57:08 roo kernel: dvb-usb: recv bulk message failed: -71
Sep 13 23:57:09 roo kernel: dvb-usb: recv bulk message failed: -75
Sep 13 23:57:44 roo last message repeated 8 times
Sep 13 23:58:23 roo last message repeated 2 times
Sep 13 23:58:26 roo kernel: dvb-usb: bulk message failed: -71 (1/0)
Sep 13 23:59:00 roo kernel: dvb-usb: recv bulk message failed: -75
Sep 13 23:59:31 roo last message repeated 5 times

- I can't (despite doing so a week ago) get the stick to lock on in dvbscan on
ITV channels (according to some UK information, the BBC is encoded with QAM16
whilst ITV is encoded QAM64  Does that make a difference?

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk