[linux-dvb] Preliminary support of Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual(take 2)

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at infradead.org
Tue Sep 19 15:03:36 CEST 2006

Em Ter, 2006-09-19 às 08:28 +0200, Patrick Boettcher escreveu:
> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006, Steven Toth wrote:
>

> As updating an LNA (or something else) is very board specific, I put
> callback "update_lna" in dib3000mc_config. I will call this after starting
> the AGCs to see if the LNA has to be turned on or not (taking the agc
> response into account). For that I would like to know, what is the gain of
> the LNA when turned on? (So that I can adjust the thresholds when to turn
> on or off). Maybe we need to make an average of both channels, not that we
> kill one channel by only taking the other one into account.
>
> Or is a module_parameter enough? (I don't like this, because the majority
> of users does not even now what is a module, which is good).
We should avoid as much as possible to use module parameters, since it
makes harder to the final user, but, better to have a module parameter
than nothing. One strategy that may be used is to have the module
parameter, but implementing a "hint" code at the module. This way, it
can adjust the parameter with one default (maybe based on tveeprom or
PCI ID), but allowing the user to force to an specific parameter.