[linux-dvb] Re: DVB-S on quad TV tuner card from Medion PC MD8800

Michael Krufky mkrufky at linuxtv.org
Thu Sep 28 22:42:57 CEST 2006

Hartmut Hackmann wrote:
> There is a driver for the DVB-S channel decoder of this
> card available now. The problem is: how to select the frontends.

Hello Hartmut,

I changed the list cc from v4l to dvb, as that would be more appropriate.

I'm just curious... Will saa713x with multiple frontends be able to use
both frontends at once?  Or just one at a time?  (I would assume the latter)

In the case of the cx2388x cards, Hauppauge has an HVR3000 card that has
both DVB-T and DVB-S demods on it.  Only one can be used at a time, as
they would share a single transport to move the ts data.

Steve Toth has been working on the 8802-mpeg port functionality of the
cx88 driver, and he has created this device_acquire method, that allows
the driver to select which frontend has access to a bus at any given moment.

You might want to take a look at his tree for ideas:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/~stoth/hvr1300-final?cmd=changeset;node=4b846f1d939b;style=gitweb

This tree doesnt yet deal with multiple DVB frontends, but it does deal
with MPEG Encoder vs. DVB-T demod.  I believe the multiple frontend
support is coming next, but I havent asked him about that.

Of course, if the saa713x will allow both demods to function
simultaneously, then the suggestion above will not apply at all.

I'm just shooting ideas around, and asking for my curiousity... Dont
feel pressured to act on this immediately.  ;-)

-Mike