[linux-dvb] Nova-T 500 windows driver update fixes reception problems

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Wed Apr 11 13:40:14 CEST 2007

Patrick Boettcher wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have discussed with the people involved with Hauppauge at DiBcom and
> wanted to know the problem.
>
> They explained me, that the actual problem/mistake is the broadcaster:
> They are using SFNs (single-frequency network, a DVB-T mux is transmitted
> by several, geographically different, transmitters) and each transmitter
> has its own cell-id in the TPS. As the channels are the same, the cell-id
> should be the same as well.
>
> I have the register settings for the dib3000p and dib7000p (no rev-eng
> necessary) which disable some algos to work-around that. However I would
> like to make that a module-load option, because here in France and afaik
> in Berlin, Germany, the SFNs are OK and disable the algos may cost other
> performance problems.
>
> I will try to prepare a patch for that as soon as I can.

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for looking into this for us.  I can't say that I understand all
that, but I'm glad to see that you'll help us out with a patch.  A
couple of Nova-t 500 users in Melbourne were about to give up on the card.

Any idea why this card/chip is sensitive to this broadcasting problem?
Other cards, STBs, and tuners in TVs don't have any problems with these
channels ... it's only this card.

If I knew how to describe this better, I would try to let the
broadcaster know that they can fix the problem.  Did you get any
specific details that I could pass on?

Thanks again,
Matt