[linux-dvb] Afatech af9005 unstable reception [added: mt2060 gain control?]

P. van Gaans w3ird_n3rd at gmx.net
Mon Apr 16 22:58:17 CEST 2007

Luca Olivetti wrote:
> En/na P. van Gaans ha escrit:
>

>> (I don't post this message to the list)
>>
>> In your short replies I read I'm probably annoying you.
>

> Not at all! I'm sorry if it appears that way (I *am* annoyed by top
> posting though ;-)
> My replies aren't any longer because I don't have much more to say: I
> live very near to the transmitter and I have poor reception of one mux
> and the rest are so-so (both when I tried it under windows to sniff the
> data and under linux).
> Other users say it works fine for them, while other have the same
> reception problems.
> The commented out code was to try the opposite problem (too strong a
> signal) and according to Thomas Pinz it shouldn't really change
> anything, so don't bother trying it, it won't solve your problem as it
> didn't solve mine.
>

>> I'm sorry. I'm no developer, I don't understand the technical stuff so
>> I ask stupid questions. I'll go look for another solution, I guess the
>> Afatech just isn't sensitive enough for my signal. Thanks for your help.
>

> This is probably a stupid question, but, you're using a roof-top
> antenna, and not the joke provided with the stick, right?
>
> Bye

(I post this to the list again because it might be of some use to other
users)

I was annoyed by the joke that comes with the stick, well, in fact I was
more annoyed by the fact the cable to convert the stick-connector to
coax was missing. I cut the cable with the "joke" and screwed a coax
connector onto it. My antenna isn't really on the roof, but it is just
under it, indoors. It is impossible to locate the antenna at any higher
point indoors. It is approx. 10 meters above the ground and on any other
receiver I can see four different transmitters on it all around me. But
I guess the signal isn't strong enough for the Afatech, quite possible
since all my other receivers are quite sensitive.