[linux-dvb] Re : Professional trolls -- was Re: Re : Re : Compiling dvb-usb-adapter module outside the kernel source.

manu eallaud at yahoo.fr
Wed Aug 1 19:32:56 CEST 2007

On 08/01/2007 01:12:59 PM, Markus Rechberger wrote:
> On 8/1/07, Manu Abraham <abraham.manu at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > On 8/1/07, manu <eallaud at yahoo.fr> wrote:
> >
> > > Nothing can excuse hatred messages as I said I do believe that,
> > > especially when we talk about "communities" in free/open source,
> whe
> > > should behave as such, that does not include racist/xenophobic
> > > behaviours.
> > > To be honest I dont think it is worth talking one more minutes
> about
> > > this, it is a waste of time.
> >
> > Unfortunately, we have been infested with professional trolls.
> >
> > We can't help much in such a case, the only thing what we can do is
> > ignore them. Basically trolls are people who find it hard to mix in
> > their surroundings and or community and hence they do not have
> > anything else to do and hence find more interest in
> trolling/insulting
> > others.
> >
> > My request is that all you folks just ignore the trolls, once they
> are
> > found to be trolls, ignore them completely in all senses. Sometimes,
> > they throw in small technical pieces, such as to attract as bait,
> but
> > it would be up to the users not to take the bait.
> >

> I would say there's a deeper reason behind everything. People don't
> come up with nonsense if there's no reason for.. that for signing up
> and writing annoying things takes just too much time for most people
> (well there's one known exception).
>
> It's the internal problems this project has which reflects to the
> outside world.
> You, I and several others are also part of that problem, and at least
> to me it seems to be unsolvable the way it is at the moment. If you
> remember the words you've written a few weeks ago that you'll never
> ask Mauro to pull your code, but you fight for your code which you
> have committed earlier to the v4l-dvb project and don't accept patches
> which have been written by others (eg. Trent).
> Either you're overloaded with what you're doing or just try to take
> care that everything you ever touched belongs to you and noone has
> access to it .. I don't know.

Well for reading this list out of curiosity for a while (also I have a
TT S-1500 CI that I plan to use soon ;-) I for sure am surprised by the
amount of "noise" surrounding actual coding discussion. I have
participated in another free software project and things were much
smoother.
I understand that some people will just not get along, but things sound
really nasty sometimes here.
And to be direct: what are the solutions that you can come up with to
improve patch handling?
As as user (and hopefully in a near future tester/coder) I would like
to at least see this project moving forward even if love is not pouring
from everywhere on the ML ;-)
HTH
Bye
Manu