[linux-dvb] [RFC] Hybrid tuner refactoring, phase 1

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at infradead.org
Tue Aug 28 21:19:38 CEST 2007

Hi Michael,

Em Seg, 2007-08-27 às 10:02 -0300, Mauro Carvalho Chehab escreveu:

> I should review the source code later today.

Ok. Almost everything looked fine to my eyes.

I have just one comment, about the changesets that added the
MODULE_DESCRIPTION and MODULE_LICENSE macros, like on this changeset:
http://linuxtv.org/hg/~mkrufky/tuner-refactor-phase-1/rev/ff52de4a4da1

This is required at the moment those files will be converted to modules.
However, as, currently, they are still part of tuner, you shouldn't add
those lines.

On a future changeset where those drivers will be splat, you should also
add MODULE_AUTHOR macro.

So, I have some comments about that future patch:

For tea5767 and tea5761, please add:
MODULE_AUTHOR("Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab at infradead.org>")

For tuner-simple, mt20xx and tda8290, I did some research. Those files
started when Gerd split tuner into smaller drivers, removing tuner.c
file, at -hg changeset 1578:
http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/file/c9083c80e2f0/linux/drivers/media/video/mt20xx.c

Unfortunately, -hg migration didn't preserved the full history (the
tuner.c removal changeset is not there). However, we can see the other
side of the history at CVS:

http://linuxtv.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/video4linux/Attic/tuner.c?root=v4l&view=markup

The original module author for tuner.c is marked there as:

MODULE_AUTHOR("Ralph Metzler, Gerd Knorr, Gunther Mayer");

This authorship line were preserved at tuner-core.c.

The splitting work, however, were done by Gerd.

So, IANAL, but, to respect GPL, I can see some ways:

a) Preserve the original tuner.c author at the splat drivers;

b) Add just "Gerd Knorr" to the splat drivers, and adding a comment, at
the header, stating that mt20xx and tuner-simple are splat drivers
originated from tuner.c, originally written by Ralph Metzler, Gerd
Knorr, Gunther Mayer.

c) Ask the authors for their wishes (as both Gerd and Ralph are likely
subscribed at the ML, probably they'll let us know if they opt for an
specific way. I'm not sure if Gunther is subscribed).

For tda8290, maybe Hartmut should also be added, since he reworked some
major parts of the driver logic:

http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb/rev/399222ddb2d9

--
Cheers,