[linux-dvb] DVB-S card for 3.8 GHz frequency range?

Matthias Schwarzott zzam at gentoo.org
Fri Dec 7 12:08:18 CET 2007

On Freitag, 7. Dezember 2007, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
>  Hi,
>  I'm trying to record the Ethiopian Schoolnet DVB-S channels -
> unfortunately they seem to be broadcast at really weird frequencies
> (3.887 GHz, Symbol rate 26500000) that none of the DVB-S cards I tried
> can handle (the cards I tried seem to be limited to the 10 GHz-12 GHz
> range).
>  Is there any card (PCI preferred, but USB would be ok) that can
> receive DVB-S broadcasts at 3.887 GHz, or is there anything that could
> be used to shift the signal to a reasonable frequency?
Well normally the LNB shifts the frequency to a reasonable range that can be
carried on coax cables. It just seems that your LNB is no normal Ku band one.
So you must have have one with another local-oszilator frequency (C-Band?).
Wikipedia tells me: "A typical C-band satellite uses 3.7–4.2 GHz for
Local oscillator: 5.15 GHz

It should be enough to configure the software using the correct LO frequency.
Then you should be able to receive the channel.

Matthias Schwarzott (zzam)