[linux-dvb] Start thinking about potential Google Summer of Code Projects we could run

Steven Toth stoth at linuxtv.org
Wed Dec 19 18:39:21 CET 2007

Hans Verkuil wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 December 2007 17:26:35 CityK wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Google summer of code will be rolling around in a couple of months.
>> Now I know we've talked a little bit about it before, but I don't
>> recall what the thoughts on it were.  In any regard, on the surface
>> of things, it would seem a perfect opportunity for the LinuxTV
>> Project to leverage -- i.e. enslave a few students to get some
>> desperately needed tasks, components, apps, drivers or whatever done.
>>  Side benefit -- it might hopefully attact a few more developers to
>> the project too -- get some new blood, stir up the pot, chase after
>> nagging/long-time bugs etc, etc.
>>
>> So, I suggest we start thinking about or, better yet, discussing
>> ideas/projects for which we could make use of the GSOC.
>>
>> (I, of course, was kidding about the enslavement part)

Pity, that was my favorite part ;)

> I think that this might be an ideal opportunity to develop a v4l2
> library that can be used by applications to access v4l devices.
> Something like that is sorely missing and nobody has the time to really
> work on it. I've always thought that this is a good project for
> something like GSOC.

Why stop at a v4l2 library, why not include digital to complete the TV
experience? A unified library that protects the kernel (at the expense
of a newer more flexible userland API/ABI).

How about a concise library for analog/digital channels worldwide? A
concrete and reliable set of frequencies, country by country,
video/audio standards, bandwidths etc so userland apps can stop having
to care about internal channel tables?

- Steve