[linux-dvb] [RFC] Should a DVB frontend report the board name?

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Tue Feb 6 03:52:21 CET 2007


On 2/6/07, Christophe Thommeret <hftom at free.fr> wrote:
> Le mardi 06 février 2007 01:34, Markus Rechberger a écrit:
>
> > > The name of a frontend should be that of the frontend itself and not
> > > the board, if it reports the board name then it is wrong, since the
> > > board is not the frontend.
> >
> > not that this is very important but I've seen that some people were
> > confused because of displaying the name of the demodulator, they
> > stated out that they own product xy and not a ZL10353, MT352, etc.
>
> Indeed, i think that for a user
> "TerraTec/qanu USB2.0 Highspeed DVB-T Receiver"
> makes more sense than
> "ST STV0299 DVB-S"
> but in the latter case, the board name
> "Philips Semiconductors SAA7146 (rev 01)"
> is also somewhat "mysterious" when the user would expect
> "WinTV Nova CI"
> ;)


The issue is that the board name shouldn't be the name of the frontend.
I did have the issue taht which you mentioned, but that i did have a
fix to it by using the adapter device that i mentioned sometime back
in another thread on a mantis bridge.

With this it gives the bridge name, Generic name and the frontend
name, all in it's own relevant place and not in the frontend. it will
be just messing up the frontend to a state where it will be hopeless.

for example:
 bridge name = "Mantis PCI rev 1.0"
 Generic name = "VP-1034"
 frontend name = "MB86A16 DVB-S/DSS DC receiver"

It additionally fixes some other issues as well, such as handling
bridge reset 's etc.

Will post the changes after i have cleaned it up, most probably will
push it along with the multiproto/stb0899 tree.

Manu



More information about the linux-dvb mailing list