[linux-dvb] Please see if you can help: Twinhan VP 1025 DVB-S PCI Card

Tim Hewett tghewett1 at onetel.com
Sun Feb 18 17:23:21 CET 2007

(original post: http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-
August/012188.html)

Dave,

I had the exact same problem. First the card would be recognised but
wouldn't appear in /dev/dvb (solved by following/adapting
instructions here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=1777028),
then once it did have device nodes it wouldn't tune.

This was solved by coldstarting, booting into Windows and using
Twinhan's software to tune the card. It was then warm booted into
Kubuntu Dapper and the card now worked. Previously dvbsnoop -s feinfo
showed this:

Basic capabilities:
     Name: "DST DVB-S"
     Frontend-type:       QPSK (DVB-S)
     Frequency (min):     950.000 MHz
     Frequency (max):     2150.000 MHz
     Frequency stepsiz:   1.000 MHz
     Frequency tolerance: 29500
     Symbol rate (min):     1.000000 MSym/s
     Symbol rate (max):     45.000000 MSym/s
     Symbol rate tolerance: 0 ppm
     Notifier delay: 0 ms
     Frontend capabilities:
         auto inversion
         FEC AUTO
         QPSK

Current parameters:
     Frequency:  0.000 MHz
     Inversion:  AUTO
     Symbol rate:  22.000000 MSym/s
     FEC:  FEC AUTO

then after the trick using Twinhan's Windows software it showed this:

Basic capabilities:
     Name: "DST DVB-S"
     Frontend-type:       QPSK (DVB-S)
     Frequency (min):     950.000 MHz
     Frequency (max):     2150.000 MHz
     Frequency stepsiz:   1.000 MHz
     Frequency tolerance: 29500
     Symbol rate (min):     1.000000 MSym/s
     Symbol rate (max):     45.000000 MSym/s
     Symbol rate tolerance: 0 ppm
     Notifier delay: 0 ms
     Frontend capabilities:
         auto inversion
         FEC AUTO
         QPSK

Current parameters:
     Frequency:  1053.000 MHz
     Inversion:  OFF
     Symbol rate:  22.000000 MSym/s
     FEC:  FEC AUTO

Then it worked fine - note the frequency no longer is "0.000 MHz",
however it does return to 0 after a cold boot but the card still
works fine.

So it looks like the card needs to be used from Windows first, the
only problem I have left now is a race condition between the Twinhan
and a Terratec USB DVB-T receiver as to which gets to be device 0 -
it changes between each boot.

HTH,

Tim.