[linux-dvb] Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T Oops

Richard Lithvall richard at lithvall.se
Wed Jan 10 01:45:51 CET 2007

Chris Johns wrote:

> I am looking into the kernel oops I was getting. It is the same problem
> I posted here:
>
> http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2006-December/015009.html

Had the same problem with my Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T...

> Upgraded to the latest FC5 kernel and have switched to a single
> processor kernel to simplify debugging.
>
> I attach a cleaner couple of oops. It starts with the USB disconnects
> then a couple of I2C writes which fail as they are not I2C but USB
> writes then the oops. The first is in 'dvb_dmxdev_buffer_read'. The
> second oops is in 'dvb_demux_release'. Looking in the specifics of the
> code the mutex is claimed in release but no in the read. I attach a
> patch that uncomments the mutex code in the read and also adds the same
> to the poll function. With this change I have not seen any driver
> problems for the last couple of days and the USB does not disconnect.

...and I were just about to test your patch when I saw that 2.6.20-rc4
were out and that they fixed a couple of things with usb and i2c so I
gave it a shot (without your patch) and the oops I had before seems to
be gone (and I really stressed the card, zapping like crazy and recorded
5 or 6 channels at the same time).

/Richard