[linux-dvb] Re: Unbranded USB DVB device afatech af9005

Andrew Leech andrew at floppyspongeonline.com
Thu Jan 18 13:41:58 CET 2007

Hi Luca, All,
I'm attempting a port of your driver to the AF9015 chip, and slowly
making progress. Just for reference, I've never written drivers for
computers before, pretty much all my programming experience is in
embedded stuff, it's much simpler there.

My biggest stumbling block at the moment is the firmware file. How did
you know where to extract the firmware from (af9005.fw &
af9005-script.h)? Was it simply through the documentation you were
given, or was it through windows snooping?

I've sent Afatech an email asking for access to documentation on this
newer chip, no reply yet, so just working with what I've got. This chip
is at least somewhat different to the 9005, as simply adding the PID/VID
of my device into the driver didn't work, I get a "af9005: boot bad
config header." An extra err printout tells me that the buff[2] value
that gives the "boot bad config header"  is 0x0 when it should be 0x11
for your driver.

I think I might be in this for the long haul, I've got to contend with a
different tuner as well, I've got the QT1010 which seems to have pretty
patchy support under linux.

Thanks,
--
*Andrew Leech
*

This message and any attachments may be confidential.
Please notify the sender immediately if you received this message in error.
Please do not delete or alter this notice.