[linux-dvb] Re: Unbranded USB DVB device afatech af9005

Andrew Leech andrew at floppyspongeonline.com
Sun Jan 21 01:28:50 CET 2007

Zsolt wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2007 13:41 schrieb Andrew Leech:
>
>> My biggest stumbling block at the moment is the firmware file. How did
>> you know where to extract the firmware from (af9005.fw &
>> af9005-script.h)? Was it simply through the documentation you were
>> given, or was it through windows snooping?
>>

> usbsnoop on windows dont log all data, the best way is vmware and some tuning
> in devio.c and then load usbcore with usbfs_snoop=1
>
> attached is a firm transfer for usb id 15a4:9016 (af9015, tuner
> mt2060)
>
> this device get commands over ep 0x02 and answer on ep 0x81 and it needs a
> stupid urb counter (00-ff and so on)
>
> if you just want to use the device until we get a spec sniff the data and
> replay it to the device.

Hi Zsolt, did you see the last message on this topic? we've got all the
programming specs for the chip! Feel free to have a go at the driver
yourself, because I'm likely to take a while to get it working.

I've sent info on my device to Gunther, so we'll have a nice gallery of
the dongle online soon, although mine uses the QT1010 tuner rather than
mt2060. My initial looks at the programming docs makes it look like the
AF2016 chip will handle the tuner interface itself, or at least they've
got sample code of a function that'll take the tuner frequency as a
parameter to tune to a channel.  I'm going to have a closer look now.

Andrew