[linux-dvb] Assistance writing patch for Nova-T 500 stuttering problems

Matt Doran matt.doran at papercut.biz
Sun Jul 15 04:20:24 CEST 2007

Hi there,

The Nova-T 500 has some serious problems with some channels in various
locations around Australia. These channels show serious video
break-up/stuttering like there is poor reception, however this is not
the case.   Using other tuners (e.g. other cards, or tuners in TVs), or
using the Nova-T 500 on Windows doesn't exhibit these problems.  I
raised this issue 3 or four months ago
(http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2007-April/017065.html).

Patrick Boettcher indicated that it relates to some peculiarities with
the DVB broadcast
(http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/2007-April/017102.html).
The Hauppauge windows drivers now have a registry key
(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\HCW99BDA\Parameters\FixSFN)
that can be used to modify the tuner's behaviour to fix this problem.

I'd like to work on a patch for the drivers to add a module option
"fix_sfn", that does the same as the windows drivers.  But need to know
what registry settings need to be changed.  If Patrick or someone from
Hauupauge or Dibcom could give me this information, I'd like to develop
the initial patch.

Thanks in advance,
Matt