[linux-dvb] Please help: Looking for a solidly supported DVB-T USB stick

Nico Sabbi nicola_sabbi at fastwebnet.it
Sun Jul 22 11:45:20 CEST 2007

Stephen Williams wrote:
> Surely this can't be too much to ask? I'm looking for a DVB-T USB
> stick which I can buy now and is solidly supported, that's all.
>
> Previously i've picked up a couple of MSI Digivox II sticks that when
> delivered turned out to be unsupported MSI Digivox II V2.0 sticks, so
> it's no longer safe to order those. Then I picked up a couple of MSI
> Mega Sky 580 sticks (the x5581 version) which appear to be incapable
> of receiving a decent signal under windows or linux (note that I
> haven't had signal problems with 4 previous DVB-T receivers).
>
> So i'm now hoping for "third time lucky". Any suggestions of supported
> devices that are known to work without issues would be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> I've checked the wiki for information but it all seems to be completed
> out of date.

I'm beginning to believe that from a tuning standpoint tinless tuners
can't even remotely compare to tin-canned tuners (I tried quite a
lot), let alone that they tend to overheat in short time and
to perform even worse when heat rises. Maybe usb sticks are not the
best choice if you want a stable reception, or maybe I simply stumbled
on the crap of the crop (as usual)