[linux-dvb] Hauppauge WinTV Nova-S-Plus - multiple read accesses impossible

Fabian Förg fabian.foerg at gmx.de
Sat Jul 28 02:52:51 CEST 2007

Simon Santoro wrote:
> On Friday 27 July 2007 18:09:01 Fabian Förg wrote:
>
>> Fabian Förg wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> in newer kernel releases multiple read accesses on the Hauppauge WinTV
>>> Nova-S-Plus are impossible.
>>> Thus, the command line femon is for example unable to open the DVB
>>> device when VDR is running:
>>>
>>> $ fuser -v /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
>>>
>>>                    USER        PID ACCESS COMMAND
>>> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0:
>>>                    myuser     5073 F.... vdr
>>>
>>> $ femon
>>> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0'
>>> opening frontend failed: Device or resource busy
>>>
>>> I encounterd this issue with kernel 2.6.22.1 and the current Ubuntu
>>> feisty kernel (2.6.20.x).
>>> Older kernels allowed multiple accesses. However, I can't test which
>>> ones, because I replaced
>>> my system board some time ago, and older kernels don't contain the
>>> necessary drivers for the board.
>>>
>>> Greets,
>>> Fabian
>>>
>> Today I tested it with the newest v4l-sources - also no multiple read
>> accesses possible.
>> Any suggestions?
>>

> I don't know if this ever worked, but just to help you a bit, I tested it on
> my 2.6.20 kernel, and I get the same.
>
> root at black:/home/mythtv# fuser /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0
> /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0:  5266
> root at black:/home/mythtv# femon
> using '/dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0'
> opening frontend failed: Device or resource busy
> root at black:/home/mythtv#

It worked some time ago. But a kernel switch, vdr-femon stopped working
in VDR.
First, I thought that this was a problem with vdr-femon.
So I tried to debug it and with the help of the vdr-femon maintainer I
found out that vdr-femon was
unable to open the DVB device (error message: "16: Device or resource
busy").
The maintainer of vdr-femon thought that this was an issue with the DVB
driver of my card.
Steven Toth of Hauppauge replied: "The driver does not deal with open()
calls, that's the responsibility of the dvb layer, or the cx88 driver.
The problem is likely in those parts."