[linux-dvb] linux-dvb Digest, Vol 29, Issue 79

Carsten Aulbert carsten at welcomes-you.com
Tue Jun 26 11:08:36 CEST 2007

Eduard Huguet wrote:

> Just as an idea... Are you sure your antenna has the appropiate amplifiers
> for that frequency? I had a similar experience (the Nova-T 500 locking only
> on a reduced number of channels and a standalone receiver on all of them),
> and the problem solved when the building administrators added the
> amplifiers
> for all the frequencies that missed.
>
> It turns that the signal amplifier in most standalone players is waaaay
> more
> powerful than the Nova-T one, so they are able to lock on the minimal
> signal
> capted directly by the antenna, but this is not the case for the card.

Thank for the suggestion, we tried two external amplifiers (also using
different strengths) and got best results when plugging in the card
directly into the house antenna which only serves DVB-S - a bit weird
but it seems the cable running through the house act like a much better
antenna than the small dishes/aerials we tried before. (signal strengths
changing from 60% to 88% as reported by mythtv).

Probably tomorrow or on Thursday I'll be back there and try to use
w_scan from the vdr project. Maybe I'll see more then.

Cheers

Carsten