[linux-dvb] [RFC] Reviewed development procedures

Mauro Carvalho Chehab mchehab at infradead.org
Wed Mar 7 19:47:27 CET 2007

Michael and Trent,

Thanks for your comments. I've took the best suggestions from both of
you. The enclosed patch contains a reviewed patch.

I'm also commenting a few stuff under Trent's email.

Em Ter, 2007-03-06 às 13:29 -0800, Trent Piepho escreveu:

> > > +   80 chars by line, like:
>                 ^per     ^e.g.
>
> [Should we have the make commit script check the line length limits?]

On CVS, we had a script, enforced at the server side, that used to check
for some stuff (From: SOB:, etc). I think it is a good idea to have a
check script for it.

> If HGUSER is not set, then, if present, the username defined in the user's
> ~/.hgrc file will be used.  Use of the .hgrc file is preferred over the
> HGUSER variable according to the hg man page.

I'm not sure if the scripts will handle .hgrc users properly. Can you
check it, please (It should to, but I'm not 100% if this is working
ok) ?

> [Is there anyway to add an ack without deleting and re-creating the tree?]

Yes, with hg strip, but this will mean that the patch changeset (a MD5
hash) will change. So, this shouldn't be done at master tree (otherwise,
people will need to remove the patches from their trees and re-add the
changed version).

This is one reason for using master v4l-dvb as a "draft" tree with the
patches, having the definitive versions, with all acks and SOBs at -git.
You should notice that I can't even sign the patches imported from other
trees on v4l-dvb hg without altering its hash. I do sign they on -git.

> > > +   inserted at master repository. In this case, the ack will be added
> > > +   only at -git tree.
>
> [How does one record that the v4l subsytem maintainer should add these acks?]
This is done manually. As soon as I receive such acks, I run my import
scripts for -git, add at the patches there (on my local machine), and
include the proper Ack. All to avoid the risk of forgetting the acks...
>                          ^a line
>
> > > +h) Sometimes it is necessary to introduce some testing code inside a
> > > +   module or remove parts that are not yet finished. Also, compatibility
> > > +   tests may be required to provide backporting.
> > > +
> > > +   To allow compatibility tests, "compat.h" should be included at the
> > > +   files under v4l-dvb tree. This header also includes linux/version.h.
>
> [This is not true anymore.  linux/version.h is included via the build system
> cflags, it is not necessary to include "compat.h" to use a kernel version test.
> Is it best if compat.h is included after all <*.h> includes and before any "*.h"
> includes.]

Ok, I've reviewed the text, adding some more useful info for developers.

Cheers,
Mauro