[linux-dvb] DiB0700 firmware problems

Eduard Huguet eduardhc at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 10:22:54 CEST 2007


Sorry for the report delay, I've been without internet connection for some
days.

Here it goes:


1) system (uname -a)

Linux mediacenter 2.6.22-sabayon #1 SMP Wed Jul 11 18:56:46 CEST 2007 i686
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3800+ AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

Using the lastest firmware and drivers compiled from HG repository. The date
of the dvb-usb-dib0700.ko module (that is, when I pulled the code from HG)
is Sept. 11. I also manually added the patch that prevents the repeating of
the error messages in dmesg whenever you use another IR control. No other
patches were applied.


2) lspci-output

00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a2)
00:00.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 1 (rev a2)
00:00.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 5 (rev a2)
00:00.4 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 4 (rev a2)
00:00.5 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:00.6 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 3 (rev a2)
00:00.7 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation C51 Memory Controller 2 (rev a2)
00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation C51PV [GeForce 6150]
(rev a2)
00:09.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Host Bridge (rev a2)
00:0a.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
00:0a.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP51 SMBus (rev a3)
00:0a.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Memory Controller 0 (rev a3)
00:0b.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0b.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP51 USB Controller (rev a3)
00:0d.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 IDE (rev a1)
00:0e.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Serial ATA Controller (rev
a1)
00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:10.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP51 High Definition Audio (rev
a2)
00:14.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP51 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM
Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
Miscellaneous Control
01:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): VIA Technologies, Inc. IEEE 1394 Host
Controller (rev c0)
01:0e.0 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
1.1Controller (rev 61)
01:0e.1 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82xxxxx UHCI USB
1.1Controller (rev 61)
01:0e.2 USB Controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. USB 2.0 (rev 63)




3) DiB0700 device name (USB Stick, Nova-T 500)


Nova-T 500, including its remote. No other DVB or video capture devices
present.



4) Application using the device (MythTV, VDR etc)


MythTV exclusively (lastest stable version - 0.20.2 - from Gentoo portage).



5) Symptoms (unusable, disconnect after x days, no problem)

Mostly stable up to date. I usually have good tunning from both tuners, and
the IR is working pretty well. However I keep experiencing ocasional minor
but annoying issues like these:

   - MythTV backend sometimes "hang" when exploring for EIT data when
   idle. No error messages appear on dmesg, just it hangs. The last line
   displayed into /var/log/mythtv/mythbackend.log reads somethink like "Now
   looking for EIT data in multiplex for channel x...".

Whenever this happens the MythTV backend is completely hanged so frontend is
unable to connect to it. Restarting the backend usually solves the problem,
so I really don't know who must I blame, the card or MythTV itself.

   - Occasional, isolated, mt2060 read / write errors in dmesg. No
   problems in MythTV when this happens, thought.
   - Occasional failed tunnings (yesterday, i.e.). There were no errors
   displayed in dmesg, but MythTV was unable to acquire a lock on the channel
   for LiveTV view. I needed to restart the mythbackend a couple of times
   before it started working fine again.


Briefly: it works nearly perfect since lastest firmware release. I'm
currently using the remote, which it was completely impossible before
because the system hanged very often when I used the TV remote (and when I
say "hanged" I mean "hanged": it was something like a total collapse of the
USB subsystem, so even the keyboard was responding slowly, about 3-4 sec
delay per keypress), needing a complete powercycle of the computer to render
it operative again.

I'd like to note that, even despite the problems mentioned before, I've had
NO USB disconnects since the firmware release. I mean that for any of the
problems above (MythTV backend hanging, mt2060 read / write error, etc...)
there was no "USB disconnect" message in dmesg. So for my part this issue
seems to be fixed.

Anyway: as other times before, let me thank you again for the big amount of
work you guys are putting into this.

Best regards,
  Eduard
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.linuxtv.org/pipermail/linux-dvb/attachments/20071003/1c2d1e2b/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the linux-dvb mailing list