[linux-dvb] RE : RE : linux-dvb and Dektec [was: DVB API update]

Manu Abraham abraham.manu at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 11:01:51 CEST 2007

Thierry Lelegard wrote:

> you may need a generic dvb "loopback" driver as described in my previous post.
> In that case, the device-specific code is written in userland and feeds the
> loopback driver.

In the ideal world, yes. Copying in and out of kernel is not fun and eats
a lot of your CPU. Which is quite useless.

> Again, if linux-dvb had kept only device-specific features in kernel and
> moved generic code in a userland library, this library could offer hooks

It is. What is that you see reflected in userspace as device specifics ?

Of course you might want to use the memory frontend for that, but again
not for any real sane use, but just for testing alone.

You might like to read a bit about copying in and out of userspace
http://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Ring_0

Manu