[linux-dvb] UDP encapsulated MPEG{2,4} TS into dvbsnoop?

Jake Peavy djstunks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 17:45:34 CEST 2007

On 10/11/07, Christian Praehauser <cpraehaus at cosy.sbg.ac.at> wrote:
> Hi,
> Maybe this is of use to you: http://www.network-research.org/mp2tsdis.html
> Cheers,
> Christian.
> Jake Peavy wrote:
> > Hi yall,
> >
> > Been googling for a while, but my problem seems rather simple so I think
> > I'll just ask.
> >
> > I have UDP encapsulated MPEG TS; how do I perform online analysis using
> > dvbsnoop?  All the pages I've been to so far seem to indicate hardware
> > is required.  This may be the case for QAM transport, but for IP
> > transport I already have the stream.
> >
> > Do I need to pipeline VLC somehow into dvbsnoop in order to strip the
> > Ethernet/IP/UDP headers and just provide plain TS to dvbsnoop?
> >
> > I have so far been using VLC to dump the raw MPEG TS into a file for
> > post processing using dvbsnoop.

Yes, that was my first feeling, that a dissector would be best.

I was told on the Wireshark mailing list that that particular dissector was
not incorporated due to outstanding bugs.  I didn't continue to research the
issue and have no idea how severe the bugs are.  Here's another post from
the same author that told me about the problems.

Another drawback is that it doesn't decode MPEG4 TS.

Thanks for the suggestion,

Chuck Norris died ten years ago, but the Grim Reaper can't get up the
courage to tell him.