[linux-dvb] UDP encapsulated MPEG{2,4} TS into dvbsnoop?

Jake Peavy djstunks at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 17:45:34 CEST 2007

On 10/11/07, Christian Praehauser <cpraehaus at cosy.sbg.ac.at> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe this is of use to you: http://www.network-research.org/mp2tsdis.html
>
> Cheers,
> Christian.
>
> Jake Peavy wrote:
> > Hi yall,
> >
> > Been googling for a while, but my problem seems rather simple so I think
> > I'll just ask.
> >
> > I have UDP encapsulated MPEG TS; how do I perform online analysis using
> > dvbsnoop?  All the pages I've been to so far seem to indicate hardware
> > is required.  This may be the case for QAM transport, but for IP
> > transport I already have the stream.
> >
> > Do I need to pipeline VLC somehow into dvbsnoop in order to strip the
> > Ethernet/IP/UDP headers and just provide plain TS to dvbsnoop?
> >
> > I have so far been using VLC to dump the raw MPEG TS into a file for
> > post processing using dvbsnoop.

Yes, that was my first feeling, that a dissector would be best.

I was told on the Wireshark mailing list that that particular dissector was
not incorporated due to outstanding bugs.  I didn't continue to research the
issue and have no idea how severe the bugs are.  Here's another post from
the same author that told me about the problems.

http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200503/msg00466.html

Another drawback is that it doesn't decode MPEG4 TS.

Thanks for the suggestion,

--
-jp

Chuck Norris died ten years ago, but the Grim Reaper can't get up the
courage to tell him.