[linux-dvb] Strage SkyStar HD modprobe

Reinhard Nissl rnissl at gmx.de
Thu Oct 11 22:42:35 CEST 2007

Hi,

Manu Abraham wrote:

>>> this Logfile looks a bit strange, and I can't tune to DVB-S2 channels. DVB-S works fine.
>>> I really have the feeling that this card is demaged....
>>
>> I experience a similar behaviour. There are days (like to today) when I
>> have to completely power off my machine to get the card working.
>> Sometimes tuning DVB-S channels works, but DVB-S2 doesn't work. After a
>> power off, it most likely works. Today I had to power off the machine
>> for more than one times. That's really strange.
>>
>> The attached log excerpt shows the output of stb0899_get_dev_id for
>> today. Other register values are crappy, too.
>
> Can you try playing with SAA7146 I2C speeds locally to see whether it is an
> I2C transaction issue ? (ie lower the transaction rate a bit)

One problem is that it doesn't happen often enough to see, whether a
changed speed would improve the situation. Especially when a reboot
would be necessary due to a module not unloading (seems to have been
fixed lately), the test scenario vanishes.

If you have a look at the condensed output of this year's logfiles,
there seems to be the chance that testing should be possible as the
device reports 29 times "Release=[1]" and 16 times "Release=[2]". I
don't think, that the hardware changes it's release number that often ;-)

Another major problem is that I don't have a clue, where and how to
change the transaction rate. I had a glance into saa7146_i2c.c, but I'm
unsure whether it has something to do with "dev->i2c_bitrate" or
"msleep(SAA7146_I2C_DELAY)".

I'd like you to guide me changing the transaction rate a first time.
Then I can run further tests on my own. Thanks in advance.

Bye.
--
Dipl.-Inform. (FH) Reinhard Nissl
mailto:rnissl at gmx.de