[linux-dvb] HDTV performance issues

Mattias Bergsten fnord at fnord.nu
Tue Sep 4 23:58:18 CEST 2007

benco wrote:
> * CPU: Pentium 4 3.4GHz, Intel Dual Core 1.8GHz, AMD Athlon64 3800+
> However there is no MPEG4 processing support in Linux kernel/NVidia driver,
> I cannot believe that CPU's listed above are not powerfull enough for HDTV
> playback. Well, I may also be wrong...

I've successfully watched SVT HD (Swedish HDTV test channel, 20Mbit
H.264) on my MythTV setup, which uses an Intel Core 2 Duo E6420. Some
tearing occurs but playback is reasonably smooth at about 90-95% CPU

Believe it - you're going to need at least an E6600 for completely
smooth HDTV playback until someone either optimizes the MPEG4 codecs or
we get GPU accelerated MPEG4 decode.