[linux-dvb] Analog card with Hardware MPEG2 Enc

hermann pitton hermann-pitton at arcor.de
Fri Apr 11 01:41:29 CEST 2008

Hi Fredric,

Am Donnerstag, den 10.04.2008, 14:54 +0200 schrieb Frederic CAND:
> hermann pitton a écrit :
> > Hi,

> >> Hauppage PVR150
> >>
> >> John
> >>

> > Frederic, I remember you have contributed to saa7134 empress development
> > previously.
> >
> > Currently, after lots of code changes without any testers, empress
> > devices have been always very rare, the support is broken and I try to
> > track down last working status.
> >
> > Did some testing with an unsupported card recently, has also DVB-T, and
> > I get everything to work except the encoder.
> >
> > What kernel version does still work for you?
>

> Actually, since recently we were still using kernel 2.6.9, with an old
> v4l snapshot (20050426).
>
> But, due to some changes, we had to change kernel version, and use
> 2.6.16.29. Still, to avoid too many changes to occur at the same time,
> we wanted to use the same snapshot. We did some minor adaptations for it
> to compile against 2.6.16.29.
> However, it's working with our same old (but fastly running to its end
> of life) KNC1 TV Station DVR  based on saa7134, saa6752hs and tda9887.

thanks for the report, i might find a starting point from here.

> > There is also the Behold M6 Extra now.
> > http://www.ixbt.com/monitor/behold-m6-extra.shtml
> >
> > But this one fails, reported by Anton, even on 2.6.18, which seems to me
> > the last kernel most likely still functional.
> >
> > I have tried on a Creatix CTX946. (saa7134 card=12 works,except encoder)
> > http://www.creatix.de/produkte/multimedia/ctx946.htm
> >
> > But I don't get a valid format setup, which very likely is caused by the
> > card is not hacked/correctly_configured yet.
>
> Thanks for these links. Do you know if the chipsets used are running to
> their end of life or not ?

Unfortunately not, but all the devices mentioned are on a similar level
for my view, means decoder chips and tuners are compatible in the same
row like MK3, MK4, MK5 and saa7134, saa7135 and as long in production
probably still available.

> > Beside ivtv, the cx88 driver has also lots of cards with mpeg encoder,
> > so called blackbird design, but from what I hear the pvr150 and similar
> > are for sure well supported.
>
> Yeah, but our requirements are not just MPEG2 Hardware encoding, but
> MPEG2/TS Hardware encoding (MPEG2/PS would be painful for us). How can
> we know this prior to buying cards and check ?
> We'll be trying the HVR 1300 soon, however.

I'm just scratching that stuff for debug, and I'm not even aware of such
a restriction and it is long time ago I looked a little into it.

Maybe Hans, Steve or Mike can give you better recommendations.

Thanks,
Hermann