[linux-dvb] KNC TV Station DVR Tuner Sound Issue

hermann pitton hermann-pitton at arcor.de
Tue Apr 29 19:19:28 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag, den 29.04.2008, 14:18 +0200 schrieb Frederic CAND:
> hermann pitton a écrit :
> > Hi Frederic,
> >
> > Am Dienstag, den 29.04.2008, 11:09 +0200 schrieb Frederic CAND:
> >> Dear all,
> >>
> >> I recently had to change v4l drivers to support my WinTV HVR 1300.
> >> I have issues making my HVR work but that's not the point here.
> >> My problem is that since I updated kernel + drivers, I can't manage to
> >> make sound work when I'm using the tuner input. Sound jack input works
> >> when I'm using SVideo or Composite Video, but not when I'm using tuner.
> >>
> >> Here are the options I'm using
> >> tuner : port2=0
> >> saa7134: oss=1 disable_ir=1
> >> saa7134-oss: rate=48000
> >
> > the rate=48000 is only valid for external analog input and disables
> > sound from tuner. Have a look at the saa7134-oss mixer under such
> > conditions.
> >
> > You must use default rate of 32000 for dma sound from tuner.
> >
> > The saa7134-oss is also soon deprecated and replaced by saa7134-alsa.
> >
> > If you are considering using recent v4l-dvb mercurial stuff, which
> > should be best for the HVR1300 and reporting bugs on saa7134-empress,
> > you might still have your old saa7134-oss module around and some others
> > like the old video_buf now loaded, since not deleted on upgrade.
> >
> > After make rmmod and rminstall with current v4l-dvb you should delete
> > such remaining modules on older kernels too before make install.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Hermann
>
> hum I used to set rate to 48000 with my old 2005 july snapshot and it
> was working even with tuner ... but ok I'll try 32000
> i've tried alsa and I had the same results, that is no sound with tuner
> but line in sound with composite and svideo
> do I need some special stuffs compiled in my kernel except from config_snd ?
> about old modules still loaded this can't be since I build my system
> from scratch each time i try a new kernel / driver into an ext2 file,
> which I put on a 32MB flash disk and boot on it ... so I'm sure I'm not
> using my old v4l snapshot, but the 2.6.22.19 v4l drivers
>
> I'll let you know if I can make it work

Ah, you are in France!

Try "modinfo saa7134". Due to unresolvable auto detection issues between
different SECAM standards there was a secam= either DK, L or Lc option
introduced.

Anything else then 32000Hz sampling rate for TV is wrong currently and
you get that input disabled on saa7134-oss mixer. Yes, it was once
possible, but not intended, to use 48000 also for TV/Video on saa7134
chips, but gave very poor and crackling sound and is wrong.

The current saa7134-alsa is simpler to use and also uses an exported
mute symbol from saa7134-tvaudio. Default distribution settings are
sufficient. On recent Ubutu releases seem to be problems with an out of
tree alsa there.

Cheers,
Hermann