[linux-dvb] HVR-1800 firmware error

Barry Quiel quielb at ecst.csuchico.edu
Wed Aug 6 19:18:04 CEST 2008

Barry Quiel wrote:
> I seem to be getting some firmware errors on my HVR-1800.  From syslog:
>
> Jul 22 20:19:36 myth-mbe kernel: Firmware and/or mailbox pointer not
> initialized or corrupted, signature = 0xffffffff, cmd = SET_OUTPUT_PORT
> Jul 22 20:19:36 myth-mbe kernel: Firmware and/or mailbox pointer not
> initialized or corrupted, signature = 0xffffffff, cmd = SET_OUTPUT_PORT
> Jul 22 20:19:36 myth-mbe kernel: Firmware and/or mailbox pointer not
> initialized or corrupted, signature = 0xffffffff, cmd = SET_OUTPUT_PORT
> Jul 22 20:19:36 myth-mbe kernel: Firmware and/or mailbox pointer not
> initialized or corrupted, signature = 0xffffffff, cmd = SET_OUTPUT_PORT
> Jul 22 20:19:36 myth-mbe kernel: Firmware and/or mailbox pointer not
> initialized or corrupted, signature = 0xffffffff, cmd = SET_AUDIO_PROPERTIES
> Jul 22 20:19:36 myth-mbe kernel: Firmware and/or mailbox pointer not
> initialized or corrupted, signature = 0xffffffff, cmd = SET_OUTPUT_PORT
> Jul 22 20:19:36 myth-mbe kernel: Firmware and/or mailbox pointer not
> initialized or corrupted, signature = 0xffffffff, cmd = SET_BIT_RATE
> Jul 22 20:19:36 myth-mbe kernel: Firmware and/or mailbox pointer not
> initialized or corrupted, signature = 0xffffffff, cmd = SET_OUTPUT_PORT
> Jul 22 20:19:36 myth-mbe kernel: Firmware and/or mailbox pointer not
> initialized or corrupted, signature = 0xffffffff, cmd = SET_BIT_RATE
> Jul 22 20:19:36 myth-mbe kernel: Firmware and/or mailbox pointer not
> initialized or corrupted, signature = 0xffffffff, cmd = SET_OUTPUT_PORT
> Jul 22 20:19:37 myth-mbe kernel: Firmware and/or mailbox pointer not
> initialized or corrupted, signature = 0xffffffff, cmd = PING_FW
>
> The errors show up if I try to use the card in MythTV, or do a cat
> /dev/video1.  The capture file has no picture, but there is a bit of
> sound, but lots of static.
>
> I just downloaded the latest dvb tree, so that's up to date.  My kernel
> is 2.6.25.9-76.fc9.x86_64.  I also refreshed the firmware from
> http://steventoth.net/linux/hvr1800 to be sure the files weren't corrupt.

I've been doing a bit more testing and seems that the HVR-1800 doesn't
play well with the PVR-500.  That's not to say that I've been able to
get the 1800 analog piece to work, but it does behave better when I take
the 500 out of the box.  I don't get the firmware errors when the 500 is
out.  I still don't get any video or audio on the 1800 though.  It acts
like there is no cable connected, just static.

Any suggestions?