[linux-dvb] Is it possible to descramble signal from 2 frontends?

Jelle De Loecker skerit at kipdola.com
Mon Aug 11 11:22:43 CEST 2008

Christophe Thommeret schreef:
> Le Monday 04 August 2008 18:58:17 kurt xue, vous avez écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have two TechnoTrend DVB-C PCI card and 1 CAM, is it possible to use this
>> CAM to descramble signal from frontends of both DVB card?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any reply!
>> Kurt
>>
> No.

That isn't a very helpful answer to his problem, is it?
He might have wanted any reply, but trying to be friendly wouldn't have
killed you.

I'll give this a go:

There is a way, called "cardsharing", to decode multiple streams with 1 cam.
Do note, however, that some people think this is illegal, but that's
because cardsharing has a bad name. There are people who perform this
"cardsharing" with other people over the internet, which IS illegal.

Because of this most people don't want us to talk about *any *kind of
cardsharing, just to be on the safe side.
I can follow their reasoning but it still resembles some kind of
illogical censor which we should not tollerate!
But I digress ...

Because this local cardsharing is not illegal (at least not where I'm
from), some set top boxes you buy in the store also have multiple
(working) tuners, so they perform some kind of internal cardsharing as well.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or being ignorant ...