[linux-dvb] Digital tuning failing on Pinnacle 800i with dmesg output

James Lucas orbus42 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 15 05:41:55 CEST 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Chaogui Zhang <czhang1974 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:15 PM, Steven Toth <stoth at linuxtv.org> wrote:
> > James Lucas wrote:
> >> On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 8:40 PM, James Lucas <orbus42 at gmail.com
> >> <mailto:orbus42 at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >>
> >>     Anyway, update.  Installed in the windows machine, and got the
> >>     drivers installed successfully, but the player software that comes
> >>     with the card requires windows xp, and the newest version of windows
> >>     I have is 2000.  I know analog capture is pretty well supported in
> >>     windows by things like virtualdub and media player classic, but do
> >>     you know of any apps I can use to test the HD functionality?
> >>
> >>     While I had the card out, got the following from visual inspection:
> >>
> >>     Printed on the PCB:
> >>     pctv 800i rev 1.1
> >>
> >>     There were two large visible chips on the card:
> >>     Samsung C649 S5H1409X01-T0  N079X
> >>
> >>     Conexant Broadcast Decoder  CX23883-39  72013496  0729 Korea
> >>
> >>     I imagine the tuner chip is hidden under the metal box (shielding?).
> >>
> >>     James
> >>

> >> Another update - I spoke too soon.  One of the windows drivers is
> >> refusing to load properly.  I don't know if the signifies a bad card or
> >> just that the driver doesn't work on anything less than xp.  I don't
> >> have any way to test at the moment.  I'm happy to try anything you want
> >> in the way of diagnosis under linux though.
> >
> > I don't think anyone else is reporting i2c issues on that board, so it's
> > possible you just have a bad unit.
>
> I saw similar i2c error messages back when we were trying to add
> support for the card (I never posted on the list about it because that
> happened when I was fiddling with the code). I do not remember the
> specifics, but it went away later on as the code matured. It might
> have something to do with multiple instances of the driver being
> attached to the xc5000, but we certainly cannot rule out the
> possibility of a bad unit.
>

> > It goes without saying, try to bring up the baord on a supported windows
> > platform to verify it... or perhaps take it to a neighbours house a
> > wreck his xp install ;)
> >
> > If you get to the point of it working in windows but not on Linux then
> > we'll be able to make progress.
> >
> > - Steve
> >

> --
> Chaogui Zhang

Alright - thanks for the replies.  My brother has an xp box, so maybe I can
convince him to let me stick it in there.  I probably will not have time to
do that for a little while though - I'll get back to you when I have
something one way or another.

James

P.S. Sorry about the double send Chaogui.  Foiled by gmail again! :/