[linux-dvb] How to convert MPEG-TS to MPEG-PS on the fly?

Josef Wolf jw at raven.inka.de
Wed Aug 20 23:48:14 CEST 2008

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 05:17:18PM -0400, Steven Toth wrote:
> Josef Wolf wrote:
> >Hello,
> >
> >I'd like to convert live mpeg-ts streams from DVB-S on the fly into
> >a mpeg-ps stream.  I know that (for example)
> >
> >  mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -quiet infile -o outfile.mpg
>
> Can't you use named pipes with mencoder and direct the flow into your
> target process?

In principle, yes.  But there is a big drawback to such a solution:
the pipes (and demuxing/muxing in a different process) will introduce
lots of context switches.  Since I want to convert four full
transponders at the same time (about 25 channels), this will certainly
kill my 450MHz PII machine.  Let alone the 25 additional mencoder
processes all running in parallel.