[linux-dvb] DVB-T USB Device which doesn't require non-free software

Hans Werner HWerner4 at gmx.de
Thu Aug 21 17:54:12 CEST 2008

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
> Datum: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 17:00:06 +0200
> Von: "Markus Rechberger" <mrechberger at gmail.com>
> An: "Alex Speed Kjeldsen" <alex.kjeldsen at gmail.com>
> CC: linux-dvb at linuxtv.org
> Betreff: Re: [linux-dvb] DVB-T USB Device which doesn\'t require non-free	software

> On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 4:56 PM, Markus Rechberger
> <mrechberger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 3:47 PM, Alex Speed Kjeldsen
> > <alex.kjeldsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Just to clarify I have two questions:
> >>
> >> 1) If I understand you correctly the Terratec Hybrid XS FM should work
> without any non-free drivers and firmware. Is this the case?
> >>

> the firmware is included in the available driver (so you won't have to
> bother about where to find the firmware or where to parse it from).
> The device itself also additionally to the tuner has a small firmware
> for the Empia chip.

Markus I suspect what you are suggesting is not what Alex is looking for.

Alex is concerned about which licenses these drivers and firmwares are released
under. He is using gNewSense so he clearly cares that they are free as in free beer *and* free
as in free speech. You say there are two pieces of firmware. Could you clarify (1) which
files you are talking about, (2) who holds the copyrights and (3) whether the driver
and firmware source codes are available and under what licenses.

Binaries coded in ascii are still binaries.

--
Release early, release often.

Psssst! Schon das coole Video vom GMX MultiMessenger gesehen?
Der Eine für Alle: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/messenger03