[linux-dvb] Reverse enginnering using i2c protocol analysers

e9hack e9hack at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 25 22:49:52 CEST 2008

Steven Toth schrieb:
> Robin Perkins wrote:
>> Does anyone have any experiences using i2c logic analysers to work out
>> how cards work ?
>>
>> Is it an effective reverse enginering method ?
>>
>> I was looking for them online but most of them seem pretty expensive
>> (~$4000) however I found the Total Phase Beagle
>> <http://www.totalphase.com/products/beagle_ism/> for about $300. Has
>> anyone else tried this adapter out ? (It appears to have software for
>> Linux, OS X and Windows which seems pretty good.)
>
> A parallel port on a spare linux box, two wires and a copy of lmilk does
> it for me. < $10.

I wasn't able to get lmilk to work. I've build my own cheep i2c-monitor
(http://www.vdr-portal.de/board/thread.php?postid=639818#post639818). It can record i2c
transmissions with a peak rate of 250kHz. The overall speed is limited by the serial
interface with a rate of 1.5MBaud. It isn't necessary to use a second PC to monitor a
windows driver.

- Hartmut