[linux-dvb] Information: Ubuntu Linux kernel image update solves v4l2 alsa-sound troubles

Lars Oliver Hansen lolh at ymail.com
Wed Aug 27 18:59:01 CEST 2008

Hello everyone!

yesterday the Ubuntu 8.04 auto-updater installed a new kernel image (64-bit desktop). It solved the alsa-sound troubles on my laptop using mrec s v4l-experimental driver for saa7134.

Here's the dmesg:
[    0.000000] Linux video capture interface: v2.00
[    0.000000] video_buf: exports duplicate symbol videobuf_mmap_mapper (owned by videobuf_core)
[    0.000000] video_buf: exports duplicate symbol videobuf_mmap_mapper (owned by videobuf_core)
[    0.000000] saa7130/34: v4l2 driver version 0.2.14 loaded
[    0.000000] video_buf: exports duplicate symbol videobuf_mmap_mapper (owned by videobuf_core)
[    0.000000] saa7134 ALSA driver for DMA sound loaded

The only errors are duplicate symbols now. My Sound driver is the current latest Realtek HD audio codec driver. My laptop is an Acer 5050.

Unfortunately the new kernel image made acpi not working again on my laptop instead of solving the wireless not detecting any routers.
Is it possible to compile a new Linux kernel without modifying anything else (other dependencies) and telling grub to load this new kernel while having the previous one still around so that one can always change to the old kernel in case anything goes wrong? How?
Thanks!
Lars