[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

ChaosMedia > WebDev webdev at chaosmedia.org
Sat Aug 30 14:16:59 CEST 2008

It's not my place to judge if the problem is moving in the right
direction or not but it's a good thing that something happens.
I'll trust the experienced devs whom acked this proposal.

Writting a multiproto patch for kaffeine to get dvb-s2 support, got me
to learn a bit about v4l-dvb api and multiproto. Again i'm no
experienced coder, i followed some examples to keep v4l-dvb backward
compatibility and it wasn't really a walk in the park nor was it really
necessary now that i look at it, either your use multiproto or you don't
and if you do, patch your app and build it again.
But well it's working and that's what was most important to me, to get
it working "asap".

So as Christophe Thommeret wrote, who helped a lot dealing with
kaffeine, i'll support whichever api is going to bring dvb-s2 and new
dvb hardware support to the kernel.

In the meantime i'll keep using and maintaining my multiproto patch as
it's curently done with most other applications, so end users don't have
to wait for the whole kernel thing to get completed.

And of course if or when the new api has to be tested and modifications
to be done on the application side, i'll join the effort.

Marc.

Acked-by: Marc Delcambre <webdev at chaosmedia.org>