[linux-dvb] DVB-S2 / Multiproto and future modulation support

Udo Richter udo_richter at gmx.de
Sat Aug 30 18:03:42 CEST 2008

Grégoire FAVRE wrote:
> Is there a patch for VDR to use this (vdr works really well with multiproto
> right now, which don't mean I wouldn't choose this one, but I should try
> it before).

There is none yet of course, but once the new API is ready, it might be
less difficult to get VDR 1.7.0 running on the new API than it looks.

One could start with my dvb-api-wrapper patch for VDR 1.7.0. (Basically
an userspace wrapper that translates multiproto calls into old API
calls.) To get VDR running on the new API, only three multiproto API
calls must be translated to the new API, and these are already isolated
in separate functions ioctl_DVBFE_SET_DELSYS(), ioctl_DVBFE_SET_PARAMS()
and ioctl_DVBFE_GET_DELSYS(). Without taking a too deep look into the
new API, I think this should be possible without too much trouble.

This is of course a temporary solution, nothing final. Maybe, until
things settle, its even a good idea to get VDR working on all three
APIs, so people can use whatever works best for them.

Cheers,

Udo