[linux-dvb] cat: /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0: Value too large for defined data type

Goga777 goga777 at bk.ru
Sun Aug 31 10:43:44 CEST 2008

> > "cat: /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0: Value too large for
> > defined data type"
> >
> > is it possible to fix it ?
>
> This is a result of error EOVERFLOW.
>
> I found mention of this in some very old documentation I have
> but which doesn't appear to be present in the very limited
> searching I've done on the existing source repositories.
>
> I also can't find a particular pointer I read years back, which
> led me to tweak the value of DVB_BUFFER_SIZE in dvb-core/dmxdev.h
> so solve some problem I can't remember.
>
> The documentation points to DMX_SET_BUFFER_SIZE.  Programs like
> `szap' seem to set this to 64k.
>
> Hope that gets you started in the right direction...

so, google has found this link
http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/

Attention,
if you do cat /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 > file.ts and get error 'Value too large for defined data type',
then this indicates a buffer overflow in the DVB driver!
In this case modify dmxdev.h in the DVB driver so it reads:
#define DVR_BUFFER_SIZE (100*188*1024) // was 10*188*1024
You can do this if you have a kernel source >= 2.6 in the driver (check with uname -a):
/usr/src/linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dmxdev.h
then recompile (make modules?).

I have corrected /usr/src/liplianindvb/linux/drivers/media/dvb/dvb-core/dmxdev.h

#define DVR_BUFFER_SIZE (100*188*1024)

but it didn't help me and after re-compilation I have the same problem

Goga