[linux-dvb] Is there a daemon style program for scheduled DVB recording?

Torgeir Veimo torgeir at pobox.com
Sat Feb 23 12:22:44 CET 2008

On 23 Feb 2008, at 18:14, Adam Nielsen wrote:

> If you were setting up a headless machine to record TV shows, what
> programs would you use to do this?  Ideally I'd like the shows dumped
> into a local directory, so that I can watch them over NFS with
> mplayer,
> but I'm open to alternatives.
>
> I really want to avoid running a whole "media centre" program like
> MythTV, VDR, etc. as I'd like this to be lean and clean and I don't
> mind
> using the command line for playback.

Obviously, you seem to have never actually tried VDR. It's extremely
lean and clean and it don't need to run with any output. You can
telnet into it and schedule recordings and it's easy to view
recordings over NFS, or use a streaming media client directly towards
VDR with a suitable streaming plugin.

--
Torgeir Veimo
torgeir at pobox.com