[linux-dvb] a few questions!

barry bouwsma free_beer_for_all at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 20 00:06:21 CEST 2008

--- On Sat, 7/19/08, Ian Bonham <ian.bonham at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) Hauppauges USB CAM reader, does it work for Sky in the
> UK yet?

I can't say authoritatively, but from what I understand, NDS
encryption used by BSkyB has no readily-available CAMs, so
even though you may have a subscription card for your DodgiBox,
you won't be able to obtain a NDS CAM for use with any non-Sky
equipment, whether PC tuner, or other-brand receiver.

> 2) Does said USB box decode 1 channel at a time, or all I
> might subscribe
> to?

You can at most tune one transponder at a time, not all
available channels.  Beyond this, as I have no experience with
any CAMs, I won't even guess.

Note that some channels on Sky (especially most on Freesat) are
not encrypted and need no CAM for access, such as the BBC and
most of the ITV families, and many others, but you probably know
that, and are asking about the premium offerings.

barry bouwsma