[linux-dvb] Where I can get the open sofware to play TS file?

Andrea Venturi a.venturi at avalpa.com
Tue Jul 29 23:10:56 CEST 2008

[sorry if i break the thread but i read this list in a digest form..]

> Subject:
> [linux-dvb] Where I can get the open sofware to play TS file?
> From:
> loody <miloody at gmail.com>
> Date:
> Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:38:33 +0800
> To:
> linux-dvb at linuxtv.org
>
> To:
> linux-dvb at linuxtv.org
>

> Dear all:
> I study 13818-1 recently, but I cannot understand the whole flow of
> PCR, PTS and DTS.

as nico already told you, this PCR is the "tick" information that sync
remote decoders to the clock inside the source (the TS player).

then, DTS and PTS are timestamps on every frames with which the decoder
decide when decode or present each single frame.
the tough problem is that in a "real decoder" (aka cheap, crappy or
whatever..) you have though constraints on the buffer so you need to act
quickly otherwise you'll occur in underrun and overrun of these buffers,
i.e. artifacts (blocking freeze) on the screen.. (it depends on the
concealment techniques implemented..)

if you play a Ts in a "fatty" PC, with huge buffers, you don't mind to
be so picky in the PCR recovery so VLC and MPLAYER don't need to cope so
much to give a reasonable quality (albeit latency increases).

if you want, you can get some interesting tools to study PCR creation
and test something, multiplexing remultiplexing, on real TS (if you can
get them from the air..).

i work in Avalpa, a company developing a free (GPL) software toolbox for
digital television management, OpenCaster (formerly JustDvb-It), you can
get it here:

http://www.avalpa.com/component/content/article/12-newsflash/35-opencaster-ver10-release-today-2062008

this toolbox is composed of something like 10 different basic utitilities.
putting them together, you cold achieve a great number of services for
(interactive) digital television..

you should focus on "tsstamp" and "tspcmeasure", these are related to PCR.

hope that helps. let me know if you have more questions.

bye

andrea venturi